March 27th, 2007
It’s time for the next generation of Adobe creative products to be announced, “2 years + 80 million lines of code” they say, I’ve just watched their live webcast . . some things that caught my eye . .
- Coding enhancements including a better debugger and improved editing e.g collapsing
- Advanced QuickTime export – wahoo! At last, you can use nested and scripted elements within video output, no more arsing about trying to render from director or trying to get a screen cap movie without dropping frames..
- Convert animation to code – handy for taking a complex path and being able to manipulate programatically.
- Improved import with proper Illustrator handling
- New lightweight UI components – flex quality widgets hopefully.
- As somebody that enjoys photography (in particular panoramas) the ‘align layers’ features is killer, I’ve been using it heavily in the cs3 beta. Chuck a bunch of photos in, 30 seconds later you have an (almost) perfectly aligned set of images just needing slight ‘crossover’ adjustments using dodge and burn tools to match exposures , and some deft eraser work to fade any glitches.
- Faster startup
- Video frames to layers – plus these can then be edited in a ’stack’.
- AJAX widgets built in
- ‘Check browser compatibility’ feature – flags up common problems in certain browsers
- puppet tool: chop up and animate images easily with inverse kinematics type linking of elements
- swf integration
- photoshop cs3 vanishing point manipulated image to animatable 3d model in aftereffects
- Output a dvd project directly to web (with all menus + video!) as a swf
The webcast was also a great example of why it’s a good idea to have a backup Plan B when presenting a live broadcast, as when their projector failed.. then they tried to do an impromptu q & a to the gathered crowd to try and fill the down time.. damn they looked awkward and ill-prepared as they struggled with the answers lol.
Shame the downtime cut back on the full program of announcements when they resumed, but details will be out soon as they all go on sale in the next few weeks.